In the spring of 1959, fifteen families joined together to form Temple Judea of Bucks County, the first synagogue in Doylestown and the first Reform congregation in Bucks County. Initially services were held at Doylestown Friends Meeting.
In 1967, the Congregation dedicated its own synagogue on Swamp Road. One of the speakers at the event was the noted author and Bucks County resident, James A. Michener. The Swamp Road facility served Temple Judea well for 40 years.
In 2011 Temple Judea’s congregation purchased an 8-acre parcel of land in Furlong, just east of Doylestown. On January 6, 2013 our congregants marched our Torahs to their new home on Rodgers Road in Furlong.
Temple Judea’s congregation now is over 200 families. We retain the culture of a friendly, welcoming and down-to-earth group of families. A large proportion of our families have children in our pre-school and religious schools, which consistently enjoy excellent reputations. Our adult population is knowledgeable, active, and caring. We are egalitarian, and welcome interfaith families, people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ community, and all guests.
We are creative and innovative and constantly strive to respond to our member’s needs and societal changes. At the same time, we respect our long history, and our actions are guided by a consistent set of values deeply connected to Judiasm.